Monday, October 13, 2008

"S" is also for "stoopid"

To carry on from Dan's sterling work in naming the best songs by artists beginning with an "S" (see here), je vous propose:

Swine Fever - Rogue Stallion. The best song never written, despite many attempts by Dan and Will.

Smashing Pumpkins - Soma. Not one I listen to regularly any more, but deeply entrenched in memories of being 17 or so. A lot of people can't get over Billy Corgan's nasal voice, it's true, but for me this is just on the correct side of pomp rock. Plus it has the quiet, quiet, quiet, LOUD stuff* I always enjoy. And I reckon Radiohead pinched said format, so there.

Seasick Steve - Thunderbird. A song about everybody's favourite wine, of course! Seasick Steve was definitely the highlight of last year's End of the Road festival. I'm still not sure how much is an act and how much is authentic, but I ceased to care after about 10 seconds of watching him break his guitar and stomp on a box like a madman. Unlike anyone I've ever seen before.

Stone Roses - Sally Cinnamon. I defy anyone not to like this immediately on hearing it. For some reason I never really got into the Stone Roses -Stone Roses until I came to University, though had previously gone to see them in Brighton when the Second Coming was out (minus Reni, sadly). Again, perhaps it's more the time that this conjures up for me rather than the song itself, but that is true of many songs I guess.

Lynard Skynyrd - Freebird. "What song is it you wanna hear?" Obviously I mean the 20 minute or so live version, taped off my Dad's copy off a friend circa 1993, when I actually realised he had the occasional blast of good taste in music (despite years of Rod Stewart trauma). The circle became complete when he nicked my Pearl Jam tape a couple of years later...

* There must be a technical term for this?

2 comments:

Dan said...

Rogue Stallion, running through the dawn...

I think you'll find that 'Sweat Letter' is technically a more accomplished song.

Neil Stewart said...

Nice selections Kate! Apart from Rogue Stallion, of course...